We're changing the way we charge for Honeycomb Hot Storage based on Partner feedback.
- Honeycomb Hot Storage will now be billed based on a 30-day average
- Why does Honeycomb Hot Storage usage fluctuate?
- How can I view my current and historic Honeycomb Hot Storage usage?
- Can I implement hard quotas to prevent my quota being upgraded?
- What can I do if I have questions about these changes or my recent charges?
1. Honeycomb Hot Storage will now be billed based on a 30-day average
From 1st June 2022, our Partners will be billed for Honeycomb Hot Storage based on their average consumption during the last 30 days.
Honeycomb Hot Storage usage will fluctuate over time due to Veeam's merge process (more information below). Based on partner feedback, we have decided to change our billing method for Honeycomb Hot Storage to minimize the financial impact that these fluctuations may have on our Partners.
Partners will now be able to view their 30-day average usage as a tile on their dashboard in Hive (see screenshot below). This tile also enables partners to quickly view more detailed reporting (more information below) and/or adjust their storage quota.
2. Why does Honeycomb Hot Storage usage fluctuate?
In order to maintain retention, Veeam performs a merge per instance of a new image surpassing the current retention period. Veeam's process for performing merges requires additional Hot Storage on top of the already occupied usage of the chain. This will cause a temporary increase in Hot Storage, up to the value of twice the full backup (.vbk) image size during each merging process.
To ensure that there are no interruptions to your clients' backup jobs, Probax has chosen to automatically increase Partner quotas when they are reached. Hard quotas can be enforced (more information below) however we do not recommend doing this unless it's absolutely necessary.
3. How can I view my current and historic Honeycomb Hot Storage usage?
4. Can I implement hard quotas to prevent my quota being upgraded?
To view Honeycomb Hot Storage usage at the customer level, open the customer account in Hive and click on the 'Monitoring' option in the menu. Select 'Storage Tubs' from the drop-down list and choose from the different reporting options that are available.
To view Honeycomb Hot Storage usage at the MSP level, simply open your MSP account labelled '<Your MSP> (My Account)' and follow the same steps noted above.
We don't recommend using hard quotas on your customer accounts unless absolutely necessary. If Hard quotas are set too low, this will prevent backup jobs from completing successfully and can have knock-on effects to your customer's backup job(s). Instead, we strongly recommend setting soft quotas that will begin alerting you when your customers are nearing their quota.
If you would like to set up hard quotas, please email email@example.com for assistance.
5. What can I do if I have questions about these changes or my recent charges?
You can contact your Probax Partner Manager or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org