Scout is a free agent for Probax MSPs that can help deploy Veeam Agent for Windows, and be used to monitor and manage customer backups. Learn how to deploy Scout in less than two minutes per workstation or server.
Note: This article contains instructions for deploying Veeam Agent to backup the full system of the device. For backup of selected files & folders, see the KB Article: https://kb.probax.io/how-to-manually-deploy-veeam-agent-for-windows
Additionally, visit the following KB for a list of commonly asked queries when getting started with Scout:
- Remote Deployment: simple remote download and installation of Veeam Agent for Windows (VAW)
- Remote Licensing: enables the user to keep their VAW licence up to date and on the correct software edition
- Remote Configuration: when the user installs Scout, VAW is automatically configured to backup to your cloud storage at your specified time
How to Install Scout
- Open Probax Hive.
- Select your Accounts tab on the left-hand side (A).
- Click on the account you wish to install scout on:
- Click on ‘Manage Storage Spaces’, then ‘Add New Storage Space’ below.
- Choose ‘Veeam Backup’, then allocate a user and choose the location to store data. Ensure this user is not already linked to another Scout product for this customer's account.
- Click on “Deploy Scout”
NOTE: Customer accounts that already have resources being backed up will no longer be able to see the 'Deploy Scout' bee icon and button. Simply head to the 'Manage Scouts' button of Hive (next to 'Manage Storage Spaces') to bring up the required menu:
- For Veeam Agent select the highlighted box and click on the new storage space created in step 5. (For ShadowProtect, select ‘Scout for ShadowProtect’)
- Download the Scout Installer:
On some machines you may need to click on “More Info” then “Run Anyway”:
Once installed simply enter the Scout link code (not case sensitive) and click on the ‘Link Scout’ button.
To check the Scout Link has been successful click the ‘Check Scout Link’ button and the following screen will appear:
- Please review the Probax Scout FAQ for more best-use tips for using scout, including a list of white-listings to allow scout to run properly
Scout will not check in for the first time until it is inside the run schedule. The default is from 6pm to 6am.
Once Scout is linked and checked in for its initial run schedule, you may configure your VAW backups in Hive as you see fit!